OJEFA 2023 Excellence in Craft Contest
The OJEFA Excellence In Craft competition offers outdoor communicators an opportunity to receive special recognition for journalism excellence. Submissions must be outdoor-oriented and published or broadcast between June 1, 2022, and December 31, 2023. Payouts for each Category or Sub-category are First Place $500, Second Place $250, and Third Place $100. There is a one-time entry fee of $30. All entries must be sent via PDF or a subscription-free live website link that can be shared with judges. Exception: Photography entries may be sent via JPG files. Note: Submissions for the Communications Contests are open to communicators who were SEOPA media members in good standing as of December 31, 2022.
Entries are due by December 31, 2023 — No Exceptions
2023 Excellence in Craft Category Descriptions and Instruction
Feature Stories – This category judges stories of at least 500 words published in a printed or online version of a recognized newspaper or magazine, or on a valid website. You may enter ONE story in each of the following sub-categories. The same story can be entered in only two of the sub-categories.
- Non-consumptive (camping, boating, wildlife, nature, profile)
- Sharon Rushton Award (stories for and/or about youth in the outdoors)
Photographs – Any color or black-and-white photograph featuring outdoor subjects in any print or online medium. One photo constitutes an entry; multiple shots submitted as a single entry will be disqualified. Photographs must be entered in one of the following sub-categories, limit ONE photograph in each:
Outdoor Book – Any book featuring outdoor subjects. Submit three copies of the book. (See General Entry Rule#4 below for submission details.) Contestants are requested to contribute copies of the book to the reviewers. Books may include edited and compiled books that involve more than just a short introductory note. Such books must include longer introductions or essays, chapter introductory comments, arrangements, editing, essays as part of a compilation or anthology of other works, or longer forewords, introductions, etc. by the contestant. Limit TWO books.
Social Media Post – Any post on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube. If a video, send a working link. Limit TWO posts.
Please read all instructions carefully and contact Lisa Snuggs
(704-961-7614 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
General Entry Rules
1. All entries must be delivered via e-mail by December 31, 2023.
2. Work that has been awarded in previous SEOPA contests is not eligible for re-entry.
3. Entries must be outdoor-oriented and must have been published or broadcast between June 1, 2022, and December 31, 2023.
4. All entries must be entered electronically via e-mailed to email@example.com with attached links or PDF files except for Photographs, which may be JPGs and hard copies of books, which should be mailed to SEOPA, P.O. Box 115, Badin, NC 28009. Books and/or e-books must be gifted to judges by contestants. E-mail addresses will be provided by OJEFA after the entry deadline for e-books.
5. All entries are limited to communicators who were members of SEOPA as of December 31, 2022.
6. Entries must be the work of the contestant. By entering a work created in partnership with other communicators, the contestant confirms he has permission to enter the work and to agree to all rules on the co-creators’ behalf.
7. Entrants agree and confirm by entry submission to give OJEFA permission to use their winning entries in publicizing the contest via the OJEFA website and/or in press releases. If such an entry is used by OJEFA in this manner, no royalties or payments are offered by OJEFA and the entrant waives such payments.
8. Each category or sub-category will award: First ($500), Second ($250), and Third ($100) place prizes with appropriate plaques or certificates.
9. Judges will be knowledgeable in the field they are asked to judge. There will be three judges for each category for as much fairness as possible.
10. The OJEFA CEO, with guidance from the Advisory Council and/or Board of Directors, will be the sole arbitrator on any dispute or question concerning the awards competition.
11. All entrants must pay a flat fee of $30 (check, credit card or money order), which will be invoiced upon receipt of the first entry. Members may send as many entries as allowed for in the rules for this one-time $30 payment. You may mail a check or call to pay by credit card, but the online form(s) are required to be completed for each entry. Failure to follow all rules will result in disqualification, so please read carefully!
Contact Lisa Snuggs if you have questions. firstname.lastname@example.org 704-961-7614